Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Real Food Recipe #1 Flank Steak Fajitas

I am so tired of finding "real food" menu plans that sport a ton of packaged and processed foods! When I think of real food I am thinking properly raised meats like grass-fed beef and pastured chicken, organic veggies, and homemade stocks. That is not to say I don't take the easy route every now and then and used a packaged product, but I like for 90% or more of our meals to be real goodness to be REAL FOOD! I am going to attempt to post a weekly dinner recipe. I will base portions on my family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children) and will also let you know if we have left overs. Please be sure to come back and let me know if you used any of the recipes and also feel free to let me know if I use an ingredient that you don't believe to be healthy. I am learning all the time and sometimes get it wrong!

For every menu you can assume that I use all organic ingredients and properly raised meats. I also always use raw dairy. We do not have allergies, but limit grains to about once or twice a week.

Photo used with permission courtesy of 100 Days of Real Food

This recipe is heavily inspired by the one I found on 100 Days of Real Food. We differ a tad on what we consider to be Real Food so it is tweaked to fit my requirements! If you get a chance head on over and visit. Her recipes tend to be very easy to tweak where I don't agree!

Flank Steak Fajitas

Grocery List:
1.5lbs flank steak
1.5 TSP chili powder
1 TSP coriander (I sometimes use paprika as well)
1 TSP cumin
1/2 TSP sea salt or kosher if you prefer
1/4 TSP black pepper
2 TBS coconut aminos (this is our soy substitute of choice)
1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
2-3 bell peppers sliced
1 onion sliced
Fresh tortillas (optional) or use lettuce for a grain free alternative
Traditional fajita fixins

Mix dry spices and rub down meat all over. Be sure to get the bottom and sides!

Slow Cooker as suggested by 100 Days of Real Food: Place steak in slow cooker on high and pour coconut aminos over it. Throw the jalapeno, garlic, bell peppers and onion on top. Cook for 5-6 hours or until can be easily shredded with a fork. If you want to cook on low add about 2 hours to that.  This is a great way to start dinner if you need to be out for the day.

Grill: Place dry rubbed meat into a baking dish, top with coconut aminos, jalapeno, garlic, bell pepper and onion. Cover and place in fridge for at least 2 hours but the more the better. I marinaded mine for about 6 hours. Place meat on grill and cook until meat reaches your preferred finish. Place vegetables into a stirfry pan and saute until warm but still crisp.  Slice meat at an angle and fix your fajita with your favorite toppings. I suggest raw cheddar, raw sour cream, avocado and spinach!


Enjoy!


post signature

No comments: